When the last of summer’s heat is a faint memory, and you’re pulling out your hoodies more than your shorts, it’s time to tackle a few simple chores.
Here is a Fall home maintenance checklist!
1. Hire an HVAC technician to service your furnace. A heating system will use fuel more efficiently, last longer and experience fewer problems if maintained properly.
2. Test and change the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
3. Vacuum internal components of your air conditioner.
4. Ensure your fireplace is in working order by checking the insert’s door gasket for a tight seal and cleaning out your chimney.
5. Apply weather stripping and caulk any air leaks around your windows and doors.
6. Check your foundation. Look for cracks and caulk around where siding meets masonry, where pipes or wires enter the house and around windows and doors. This easy checkup can reveal issues early and prevent heat from escaping in chilly months.
7. Inspect your roof. Wintry weather wreaks havoc on roofs and it’s better to proactively deal with repairs than to discover a leaking roof in a rainstorm.
8. Clean gutters. After leaves have fallen, take time to inspect and clean your gutters. Flush them with water, inspect the joints and tighten brackets if necessary.
9. Weather-strip your garage door. Ensure the seal between your garage door and the ground is snug to prevent drafts and small animals from entering.
10. Inspect your driveway. Look for cracks and repair damage with driveway filler, then coat with a commercial sealant.