Are you planning a move across town or across the country? We've compiled a list of the most important to-dos to take care of before and after you settle into your amazing new nest!
Month Prior to Move
- Reserve rental truck, movers and storage unit if necessary.
- Transfer or obtain copies of medical records, dental records, school records, etc.
- Check with your insurance company to see if your belongings are covered during the move.
Change your address
- U.S Postal Service
- Driver’s Licenses – Vehicle Registration
- Social Security
- Voter Registration
- Credit Cards
- Automated Payments
- Place of employment
- Insurance (home, life, auto, etc.)
- Friends and Family
- Change your address with magazine and newspaper subscriptions
Cancel or transfer utility companies
- House Cleaning
- Pest Control
- Home Security Company
Weeks Prior to Move
- Purchase packing supplies (boxes, tape, markers, and so on).
- Make travel arrangements on moving day and any special arrangements for small children and/or pets.
- Start packing, boxing items systematically and labeling them accordingly.
- Purge unused items. Consider having a garage sale.
- Pack infrequently used items.
- If you can, type out a list of what general items are in each box so you have a master list.
- Get a check-up for your pet and obtain records.
- Pick up personal items at cleaners, laundry, off-season storage, shoe repair, film, etc.
1 Week Prior to Move
- Confirm reservation with moving company or rental truck company.
- Gather and set aside important documents (don’t pack these—carry them with you during the move).
- Transfer prescriptions to your local pharmacy.
- Close/transfer bank accounts (if switching banks) and order checks with your new address.
- Remember to get all items from safe or safety deposit box if moving out of town.
- Send out change of address cards to friends, relatives, neighbors, organizations, and so on.
- Return items that don’t belong to you (movies, books, and so on).
- Clean! (appliances, carpet, walls, and so on).
- Leave keys and garage door openers, warranties, manuals for operation at house for new owners.
- Save all moving receipts – they may be eligible for tax deduction.
Day Before Move
- Have cash available to tip your movers.
- Arrange for lunch and beverages for you and anyone helping you.
- Pack the last of your items and leave out one small box/bag for your necessities.
- Take a final walk-through to make sure nothing is left behind.