Summertime is a great time to be in Austin. Outdoor activities are the name of the game, from kayaking Lady Bird Lake to cooling off in a spring-fed swimming hole and catching an outdoor concert and picnicking in a scenic park.
Here are 5 things you can do in Austin this month!
1. Get out on the water at Lady Bird Lake, which flows through downtown Austin, where you can rent stand-up paddleboards, kayaks and canoes from the Rowing Dock, Congress Avenue Kayaks and more.
2. Don’t miss the sunset show at the Bat Bridge, when more than one million Mexican free-tailed bats pour into the evening sky from beneath the Congress Avenue Bridge. Watch from the bridge or stake out a spot at the Statesman Bat Observation Center.
3. Hike along the picturesque Barton Creek Greenbelt to reach Gus Fruh, a swimming hole known for its famed Urban Assault limestone rock wall that’s a favorite of climbers, as well as the hidden Twin Falls and Sculpture Falls areas.
4. a selfie in front of one of Austin’s iconic murals. The wildly popular I love you so much mural is painted on the wall of Jo’s Coffee on South Congress Avenue. Hi, How Are You features a bug-eyed bullfrog named Jeremiah near the University of Texas at Austin campus. And the colorful Greetings from Austin postcard is a must-shoot in South Austin.
5. Stop and smell the roses at Zilker Park, a 360-acre oasis in the heart of the city that’s home to a variety of recreation opportunities, including leafy trails that lead to outdoor artworks at the UMLAUF Sculpture Garden and Museum.